the pencil runs

posts on running

Garmin Geko 101


I am swaying towards a GPS sytem again, mostly because of the price factor. This is the Garmin Geko 101. It costs about S$170, which is half the price of the Polar RS200sd which is selling for a cool S$400 or so.

Alternatively, the Garmin Forerunner 101, an instrument specific for runners, is going for approximately S$170 as well. Joel gives a good comparision between the forerunner and the geko. I quote:

In a way comparing the Forerunner and the Geko is a little like comparing apples and oranges. The Forerunner is definitely a niche product for athletes. It trades away a number of features found in most GPS receivers for ease of use and specialized features for runners...

The Geko on the other hand is a small, general purpose GPS receiver that can be used by athletes. It acts as a data logger for your workouts, and by running software on your PC, you can get most of the statistical data provided by the Forerunner if not more. What you can't get from the Geko is the real time coaching information.

For me I'd be more comfortable taking a Geko on a long trail run out in the boonies (especially in places I've never been before), because of its advanced navigation capabilities and the fact you can carry spare batteries. I'd be perfectly happy using a Forerunner on more civilized runs and using it to fine tune my pacing.

So, here's my bottom line recommendations:

* If you're an athlete and care less about using a GPS receiver for navigation, get a Forerunner. Considering its features and capabilities, it's a pretty reasonably priced training tool. (2/24/04 - If you frequently trail run under heavy tree canopy, in canyons, or urban areas with lots of sky obstructions, you're probably going to get frustrated because of poor satellite coverage.)

* If you can only afford one GPS receiver and want to use it for workouts and navigation get a Geko. It's small, affordable and versatile. 2/15/04 - I'd personally favor the Geko over the newly announced Foretrex. The thought of relying on a GPS receiver for navigation that has a rechargeable battery you can't replace out in the middle of nowhere kind of bothers me.


I kinda like how the Geko looks compared to the Forerunner even though the functions of the Forerunner are more suited to my use. I like the compass and being able to mark my track and find my way around with the Geko -- that's just cool. Of course the Forerunner comes with Autopause (timing is puased when your speed gets below a certain level) and Autolap (automatically triggers a lap when you reach a certain distance) and with a handy wrist strap, but the Geko looks so much better.

The Polar RS200sd is probably more accurate and it comes with a heart rate monitor, but right now, that $170 price tag is calling my name. I only wish it was more like $140, but hey, one can't always have everything.
| Back to Runs | Next »
| Back to Runs | Next »
| Back to Runs | Next »
| Back to Runs | Next »
| Back to Runs | Next »
| Back to Runs | Next »
| Back to Runs | Next »
| Back to Runs | Next »
| Back to Runs | Next »

» Post a Comment